Tuesday, March 20, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. ROGERS

sniff sniff ..... Can it be? Fred Rogers has been gone for 9 years now. Since I grew-up in Pittsburgh, I always thought he was just a local show. I never realized how many generations of children .... including my own .... nation wide he mesmerized till probably the Saturday Night Live skit with Eddie Murphy.

Even though I probably came close ..... being in the same "neighborhood" so to speak .... I never bumped into him around here. The closest I ever came to him, other than the TV set, was the time one of my mothers friends was a fairy Godmother on one of his earlier PBS shows.

Hopefully, the innocent appeal of his many characters will remain in repeats a long long time for many more generations.

TRIVIA TIME:
  • McFeely, was his middle name as well as his much loved Grandfather. The Mr. McFeely character is alive and well in Pittsburgh. He still is a staple making appearances at local TV and events.
  • Fred's mom made most of the sweaters he wore on the show.
  • He was an ordained Minister
  • Pittsburgh locals Micheal Keaton and Ming Na got their acting starts in the "Neighborhood". I swear Dennis Miller got a start their too but, I can't find the confirmation on the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not a prudey girl but, keep it somewhat clean. Of course, stay on topic unless, "DUH", it is an OPEN post. No threats or disparaging remarks to those that disagree with you. Silly and redundant comments going to a place where the post was not intended will be deleted. Good old "Common Sense" is always welcome! If you are having trouble defining Common Sense then maybe this is not the place for YOU!