Monday, April 5, 2010

Birthday Legends







Today is a bonanza of silver screen legend birthdays: Bette Davis (1908-1989), Gregory Peck (1916-2003), Spencer Tracy (1900-1967) and Melvyn Douglas (1901-1981). Getting in my time machine I'm going back remembering the first time I ever saw any of them in a movie.
Bette Davis“What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?”. I always thought of Bette as an older lady. When I later saw her in her movies of the ‘30’s as a young starlet, it was too late. I could not get the vision of her being anyone else but Baby Jane Hudson out of my head.

Gregory Peck“To Kill A Mocking Bird”. Always played a hero never a bad guy … well he was too good looking for that!

Spencer Tracy“Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner?” Also his last film and at the time most controversial. I think I remember him more for his 20 + year affair with Katherine Hepburn. Although everyone knew he lived with Hepburn those last 20 years, as a strict Catholic he stayed married to his first wife till his death. Kinda heartbreaking.

Melvyn Douglas“Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House”. Melvyn was more of a character actor. He was the best friend, the second banana, the father/grandfather, the Senator/Judge/doctor/captain/general …. In other words …. you recognized the face in every TV/movie but never quite knew the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not a prudey girl but, keep it somewhat clean. Of course, stay on topic unless, "DUH", it is an OPEN post. No threats or disparaging remarks to those that disagree with you. Silly and redundant comments going to a place where the post was not intended will be deleted. Good old "Common Sense" is always welcome! If you are having trouble defining Common Sense then maybe this is not the place for YOU!