Tuesday, June 29, 2010

IT'S NOT QUITE THE JETSON'S ......

The "Transition" from Terrafugia ... a privately owned company ... promises ... and I quote:

"Every pilot faces uncertain weather, rising costs, and ground transportation hassles on each end of the flight. The Transition® combines the unique convenience of being able to fold its wings with the ability to drive on any surface road in a modern personal airplane platform. Stowing the wings for road use and deploying them for flight at the airport is activated from inside the cockpit. .... and ending with my favorite summation ...... This unique functionality addresses head-on the issues faced by today’s Private and Sport Pilots."

Exactly how many "Private and Sports Pilots" are there? What a crock of overpriced marketing effort! Let's face it, this "personal airplane platform" is not for us common folk. Its for the special people of the world who have more money ...like $194,000 ... than they know what to do with and need ..... ah, errr .... or shall I say desire a new TOY!

Let's examine this "marvel":

  • It seats 2 ... yes ... that's TWO. Let's do the math: that's the pilot and 1 other person ...... more than 1 is a party, right?

  • The convenient cargo area holds skis, fishing poles or golf clubs ... oh that's where the sports come in. I need this thing to play golf! .... You use this to "fly" over that rush hour traffic to the club house or lake. Don't stay over night though there was no room for the suitcase.

  • As a "Sports" pilot you are only required 20 hours training to fly over people's head. How comforting.

  • You still need a 1700' runway to take off from. BUT, if the weather is bad you can't fly just drive the thing. Let's see you drive it to the runway, a thunderstorm moves in, you then have to drive anyways. I can see the convenience!!!!

  • It cruises at 115 mph. I do that on the Interstate in my Kia!

  • It gets 23 miles to the gallon ... oh wait so does my Kia!


Then there are the promises/info they don't say:

  • How environmentally friendly is the "Transition"? Is it more harm than good?

  • How far above the ground/altitude does it fly? I see many a potential accident into utility lines maybe?

  • Who services this thing? My on staff flight crew that lives in my garage now?

  • Where do I take off from. Do I need my own specialty runway or will the airport where small private jets fly into/out of let me use theirs?


All I know is, I've been promised the Jetson's lifestyle since I was 10. My house is still on the ground, my Kia is not jet propelled, my computer is not doing the cooking and there is no "Rosie" the robot cleaning my house. Ho HUM ...... I guess it has to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not a prudey girl but, keep it somewhat clean. Of course, stay on topic unless, "DUH", it is an OPEN post. No threats or disparaging remarks to those that disagree with you. Silly and redundant comments going to a place where the post was not intended will be deleted. Good old "Common Sense" is always welcome! If you are having trouble defining Common Sense then maybe this is not the place for YOU!