Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sometimes it doesn’t have to hit home. Just come close ….

Photo Credit: REUTERS/Brendan McDermid


Yesterday afternoon I was texting my daughter in New York, trying to get her work schedule from her so she could hook up with one of my oldest friends ...and her daughter ... who happened to be in NYC this weekend. My daughter’s job is in Times Square and my friend had tickets to a Broadway show that evening. I don’t think they got together.

My daughter left work at 6PM and was home before they found a fire bomb rigged SUV … somewhere around 6:30PM ….. parked on W 45th St …. between 7th and 8th Aves … in front of the Minskoff Theater ... where The Lion King is playing ... less than a block from my daughter's place of employment. I haven’t talked to my friend yet but, I assume she made her show, even though the theater she was attending was two blocks away from the SUV. All too close for comfort!

The accelerate laden SVU was reported to authorities by the Times Square street vendors who noticed it parked there and were instantly suspicious of it. It was smoking by the time police arrived but did not detonate. It is another instance where we have to be reminded even though we live in the greatest nation in the world we must be alert to those that would do us harm for that very reason. It reminds us that ordinary everyday people have to watch, be aware and are willing to be compliant in reporting the unusual.

You know you never stop worrying about your kids no matter what age or how far. Far is a scary place to be when your kid needs you. Ordinary everyday people assisted me yesterday. Next time I’m in New York I may feel the overwhelming need to own a couple T-shirts and designer …????? … purse!

1 comment:

  1. The street vendor's name is Duane Jackson and he is a Vietnam Vet. I found it interesting that many of the Times Square vendors are Vets.

    ReplyDelete

I am not a prudey girl but, keep it somewhat clean. Of course, stay on topic unless, "DUH", it is an OPEN post. No threats or disparaging remarks to those that disagree with you. Silly and redundant comments going to a place where the post was not intended will be deleted. Good old "Common Sense" is always welcome! If you are having trouble defining Common Sense then maybe this is not the place for YOU!