Saturday, February 6, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZSA ZSA!

Zsa Zsa Gabor is 93 today! Zsa Zsa …. Isn’t she the cop sla …. Yes … Yes ... that was Zsa Zsa! It is probably what she is most famous for…. THAT and 9 husbands! Zsa Zsa and her sisters Eva and Magda …. That’s right Eva was the “Lisa” on “Green Acres” and sold the wigs and Magda ? … Well, I don’t know what Magda did but I remember her two more famous siblings talked about her all the time ….. Start again … As a kid I viewed the Gabor sisters as iconic symbols of what 60’s womanly elegance and sophistication should be. Zsa Zsa always gorgeous making her rounds on TV talk shows and cameos throughout my childhood. I was never sure why she was famous till I was older and saw her in a movie. ZSA ZSA made movies???? I’ll list some fast facts about that later ….

What is it that connects my childhood to Zsa Zsa? Well not only is Zsa Zsa a stylish image from my youth but, I remember my mother telling me what my Grandfather labeled my Grandma and her 5 sisters. You see ... every family gathering resulted in a performance from the “South Side” Gabor sisters. I understand funerals is where they did their finest work! It was Oscar performances all around that led to who could wail the loudest and achieve the greatest of all acting achievements ….. the believable fainting spell! Yes, it was a race to see which one of them beat the other one on the quickness of executing the fall to the floor into a state of grieving unconsciousness. Now you see where I get MY drama from .... an inheritance!

Grandma and her sisters (like the Gabors) were always pretty, petite, little bee-hived natural? blondes, who lied about their age SO much they forgot how old they were in their later years. They also all had another flaw … they needed MEDS! Unfortunately, meds were not available then so the outrageous and over the top behavior continued till their passings. Zsa Zsa is still going strong though and is the same age as my dear departed Grandma would be this year. Grandma only married 3 times but, I’d bet Zsa Zsa and Grandma are neck and neck in the boyfriend #'s category. Magda was the same age as my Great-Aunt Helen (the oldest sister also) who was actually the last to go(2005) of the "South Side" Gabors. Sniff, Sniff … the good old days!

Fast Fun Facts about Zsa Zsa (you already know about the 9 husbands):

· Her real name is Sari.
· Her mother (Jolie) was an heiress to a jewelry fortune. SO, Zsa Zsa was never hurting!
· She claimed to be the winner of the 1936 Miss Hungry beauty pageant. Relatives later stated she was disqualified because of being underage and yet another claims she was just the runner up.
· Being married to her 2nd husband Conrad Hilton (1942-1947) would make her Paris Hilton’s EX Step-Great-Grandmother.
· She started her movie career (1952) at the age of 35!
· The director (Mervyn LeRoy) of her first film (Lovely to Look At) offered her the role after he saw her dancing at party.
· The 1952 version of “Moulin Rouge” was her best-known starring role. She was cast more often as a supporting actor and in B-movies.
· Claims to have been forced on a date with Frank Sinatra.
· Her best friends in the 50’s/60’s were Joan Collins and Kim Novak.
· Her mother lived to be 100.
· Her sister Magda married as her 5th husband, Zsa Zsa’s 3rd husband, actor George Sanders. YUCK!
· One of her marriages was to the inventor(Jack Ryan) of the Barbie Doll. Hmmmm

· Out of the 20 marriages between them, Zsa Zsa was the only Gabor sister to have a child. (Francesca Hilton)
· She lost an estimated 10 million in the Bernie Madoff ponzi scan.
· Her present husband (Prinz von Anhalt) claims the title: Prince Frederic von Anhalt of Munich, the Duke of Saxony, which would make Zsa Zsa a princess, right! Ahhhh …. No. Actually, Prinz paid the bankrupt German Princess Marie-Auguste of Anhalt to adopt him in 1980. He has no legitamite claims to the German royal line.


AND yes … I do think my Grandma would have slapped a cop if she had the chance …… especially in her later years!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! I thought my family was the only one that had that "Zsa Zsa" connection! The first time hubby met my Aunt Ann, she commented how much she looks just like Zsa Zsa Gabor! Since then, we have always referred to her as "Aunt Zsa Zsa" (but never to her face!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say then she must be a beautiful woman to live up to the "Zsa Zsa" label.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA!! She was NOT a beautiful woman, only her in own mind did she resemble Zsa Zsa! The only resemblance was that they both had heavy European accents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, well Grandad would have loved to be in on it then!

    ReplyDelete

I am not a prudey girl but, keep it somewhat clean. Of course, stay on topic unless, "DUH", it is an OPEN post. No threats or disparaging remarks to those that disagree with you. Silly and redundant comments going to a place where the post was not intended will be deleted. Good old "Common Sense" is always welcome! If you are having trouble defining Common Sense then maybe this is not the place for YOU!